The Great Commission
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
The Great Commandment
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:34-35
A Great Promise
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. Acts 1:8
A VERY significant book for our purposes in today’s message is “What is the Mission of the Church?” by Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert (Crossway: 2011). Note also “The Deliberate Church” by Mark Dever and Paul Alexander (Crossway: 2005). See chapter 3 on Doing Responsible Evangelism.
The Great Commission is the mission of the church.
- When is the last time you had a spiritual conversation with someone who does not know Christ?
- When is the last time you had a serious substantive conversation about Christ?
- When was the last time you gave someone a presentation of the Gospel?
- Are you praying for opportunities for all of the above?
- Who is on your prayer list?
- Are you looking for opportunities to share the Gospel?
- What are the four elements that keep the Gospel crystal clear?
- Pray for an opportunity to witness this week and leave the results to God.